The Lion Heart Medical Center in Sierra Leone is looking for:
The Lion Heart Medical Center in Yele, Sierra Leone, is looking for a volunteer nurse to help our local staff in improving their clinical skills and knowledge. Working in a low-resource setting like Sierra Leone will demand a flexible, enthusiastic and open-minded personality. If you fit this description, please read below for the detailed information regarding the project and the function.
The Lion Heart Medical Center (LHMC) operates as a referral hospital for a population of over 100.000 people. There are many patients traveling from far away for its good reputation. The hospital has been built up from a small health center in 2010 to the fully equipped second line facility it is nowadays.
Key activities include a referral program for complicated obstetric cases, free antenatal clinic (ANC), adequate triage of under fives according to ETAT guidelines and emergency and elective surgeries.
Type of work to be involved in:
- Work alongside our national staff matron in supervising the nursing team
- Clinical work across all departments
- Teaching activities and scenario training for nurses and clinical staff
- Developing nursing protocols and guidelines
- Outreach to primary health facilities & community sensitization
What we provide:
- Work in an 80-bed district hospital, with activities across all major specialties; focus on maternal/pediatric care and emergency surgical intervention
- Opportunities to work both in clinical medicine as well in community health projects (outreach, community sensitization)
- Possibility to do a rotation across several different departments including maternity, pediatrics, outpatients & surgical wards
- We will provide a landing permit & residency permit
- We also provide transport to Yele from the airport and accommodation on location with 24/7 running water and electricity
- Food/drinks are bought on own expenses
what we expect
- Availability of at least 6 months
- Diploma/certificate in Global Health or Tropical Medicine OR strong evidence of affiliation with it
- Previous working experience in LMIC is a bonus
- Experience in emergency medicine, pediatric nursing, maternity OR infectious disease
- Flexible, pragmatic, easy-going, adaptable to different cultural/ethnic settings, respectful in communication
For any further questions and applications please contact:
Dr. Martijn Knap, medical superintendent, medicalsuperintendent at lion-heart.nl (at=@)
Internship at Lion Heart Medical Center?
Would you like to do an internship in LHMC? We have two places available in our hospital for internships abroad. Due to housing and available supervision, we do not offer internships for nursing students and bachelor's medical students. If you would like more information or have questions about possible availability, you can contact the medical officer via the email address: medicalofficer at lion-heart.nl (at=@)